Friday, September 6, 2013

The Art of Bending

Auspicious Beginnings and Unexpected Endings



Over the last few weeks, I've been thinking about beginnings and endings.  More specifically, those unanticipated or unexpected  beginnings and endings.  We'd be nowhere in life without a beginning, and we'd get nowhere in life without an ending.

For some background, I do wonder if my constant pondering has to do with my own personal beginning:
  • My Beginning:  I was born June 5, 19xx (a lady never tells, so... 1975) in suburban New Jersey.  My start was ordinary and without incident.  My Mom and Dad never had sex, clearly.  Like all other parents, they were greeted by the stork with a bouncing baby girl.  My father, who has always been known for his mastery of the English language - with a special concentration in spelling - was somehow the one in charge of placing my name on the birth certificate.  With that said, he spelled it exactly how he thought it should be spelled.  Therefore I became Karie.  'Cause that's how it's sounds, don't cha know? Not Carrie or Carey or even Kari.  Karie.   My mother, still in shock from the stork visit I imagine, just shook her head and wondered how she was lucky enough to have married such a wordsmith.

In essence, my life started out by my Dad's lack of spelling ability.   I've come to terms with the fact that I will never own a magnet or key chain with my name on it.
 
The thing about some of the most memorable beginnings are the fact that they sneak up on you.  The first time you met your best friend, you didn't know that you'd be best friends.  Sure, you might have felt an instant connection, but take a step back.  You didn't even know THAT person existed until the moment you met each other.  The moment you meet someone is a chance for your entire existence to be altered forever.  In a small way, EVERY meeting with EVERY person is just that.  Like the Butterfly Effect, even the smallest motion, the smallest change, can result in a difference down the line.  Beginnings are everywhere. Beginnings happen every instant.  When I look at life from this angle, it makes me feel hopeful and excited.  I feel a lust for life and a zest for experiencing things.  Everything.  I feel that I can make a difference and that my being really matters to the universe.



 
 
The thing about some of the most memorable endings are the fact that they sneak up on you.   If you've ever lost a loved one unexpectedly, you didn't know that the last time you spoke with them, the last time you grabbed a drink or dinner together, the last time you chatted on the phone or texted, would be IT.   You didn't know that the last words you would speak to them would be meaningless:  about a hockey game, or a new blouse; or full of significance:  telling them you love them, or having a blow-out fight.  The last time you spoke to them was just about realness and naivete - that we all will go on forever.   Endings are everywhere.  Endings happen every instant.  Without endings, there could be no beginnings.  When I look at life from this angle, it makes me reminisce and long for days-gone-by.  It makes me want to go back and appreciate the moments more.  I feel I've wasted an opportunity by taking it all for granted.
 
There's also the flipside to beginnings and endings.  You could walk in to the doctor's office feeling OK, "just in for a regular check-up, thank-you-very-much", and find out that you've got something.  The beginning of a long road of question marks, fear, pain, heartache, and anxiety.  You could also walk in to a doctor's office and find out that you've been cured of something.  The ending of a road of question marks, fear, pain, heartache, and anxiety. I don't think it's an accident that when you combine the words beginning and ending, you come up with "bending". 



 
 
The older I get, the more I realize that we get nowhere in life without "bending".  Life is going to happen.  Beginnings are going to happen.  Some for the good and some for the bad.  Echo that for endings.  It's how we deal with them.  How we take hold of what we have in front of us right now that makes the middle parts of each teeny journey and experience enjoyable and worth it.
 
Like any good book, my life began with an auspicious beginning, the journey has been interesting, and I hope to start adapting to how I handle some of the unexpected endings.

With Love
Lady Butterfly
xoxo

9 comments:

  1. Awww, hugs and smooches for everyone? An unexpected beginning. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh certainly not. Please. I'm the work that happens before a work in progress begins. My clarity kicks in sometimes to show me how I should be. I'm trying :) Thanks so much for reading and being such a great participant in my writing world (even if you don't know it).

      Delete
  2. You do appreciate life and every moment and definitely don't take things for granted. Believe me, I know because I know you. This is one of the many reasons why I am and always will be your best friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring tears to my eyes. You will always be my best and dearest friend. I'm lucky you are in my life, but I know I have never deserved you. There are no words for what you mean to me, and how much you inspire me... by being you. I love you more than words. You are who I wish I could be inside. I love you my friend.

      Delete
  3. The great thing about bending is that if you do it enough times you become a circle, and like the ouroboros, you can live forever ;)

    A really great post, Karie. This post is a testiment to your character and writing abilities (both story telling and journalistic) Not much is certain in this world, but one thing is, you'll have to go the rest of your life telling people how to spell your name lol. But seriously, I take comfort in the few predictable things, because the rest, no matter how much we prepare, will always take us by surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and thanks for linking to my blog, it is very much appreciated :D

      Delete
    2. First off, you get a triple word score for using ouroboros. Well done, Ben. Well. Done

      Thanks so much for reading and your comments. And the compliment :) I guess all we can really do is keep rolling with the punches and moving on. 'Cause, really? What else can WE do? I agree with you wholeheartedly, take comfort in the constants, for they are few and far between.

      Of course I linked to your blog! You're amazing!!!!

      Best
      K.

      Delete
  4. If only you can see yourself from my eyes ladybug...you give me too much credit...I am lucky to have you in my life and as my best friend. You are perfect inside where you will always find an unbelievably huge heart and an incredible mind. I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Sigh* Girl, you rock. I just need you on repeat on a daily basis. LOL Love you tons my dear.

      Delete