Friday, August 16, 2013

Social Media? Huh?


# Demented and Sad...but Social



Social. Media. Social + Media. Social Media. The term is so ingrained in our brains, that we don't even think about the reality of those two words put together. Is there really anything "social" about social media?

 
 
I guess it depends on how you define "social" to begin with. If your definition is somewhat lax and tends to sway more towards any interaction with any other person as social, then I guess the term "Social Media" makes sense to you. Well, mostly anyway. You can't really explain away watching all of those cat videos, can you?
 
 
If your definition of social is a little more strict and tends towards a physical interaction between two or more people, then the term probably doesn't make sense to you. Well, mostly anyway. You can't really explain when you go out to a gathering and offer nothing to the conversation or stand in a corner, and speak to no one.

 
Obviously I don't need to disclose that I am a social media user. I'm a Facebook regular, an Instagram follower, a LinkedIn subscriber, and a Google + beginner. I never got in to Twitter, though. The only reason you're even reading this is because it was posted on some social media outlet. Or you're my Mom, and I gave you the direct link.
 
 
 
We all sit behind our computers or phones commenting on random status', uploading pictures, checking in to different establishments, or (if we're the highbrow social media user), updating our resumes and work profiles. Mostly, though, we spy. We spy and judge. We spy, judge and compare lives.

 
Now, I personally don't considering it spying if I "happen" to find something that someone put up on a social media site. If you didn't want it to be found, read and reviewed, you would never have put it out on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr + or the multitude of other sites that are out there. Can you really say someone is encroaching on your privacy when you have given up your right to that specific incident you posted, without making your profile private? It's the equivalent of putting a box of open donuts in your Company lunch room and then being shocked that someone dared to eat them. Think of all of the information that you've put out on social media as the donut, and everyone else are your hungry co-workers.
 
 
There was a time, not that long ago, when being social meant actually getting off of your ass and doing something. With other, you know, live people. It wasn't considered social to play video games all day. It wasn't considered social to watch TV all day. It wasn't considered social to read all day. These are all forms of media. Why are those not considered social media, but online sites are? Is it because you are "talking (typing)" to someone that actually exists? Someone you know or used to know? Hmm. If that's the case, then the simple act of writing an email to someone is social media. Or "live chatting" with an online help desk. I think you'd be hard pressed for someone to take you seriously, though, if you told your friend that you consider the 1-800 FLOWERS live chat feature to be social media.
 
So, I'm back to the misnomer that is the term "social media". It's just not all that social. As a matter of fact, it quickly makes people anti-social, in more ways than one. A few being:
  • Many people have their noses stuck in their phones checking social media when they're actually, you know, being social
 
  • People make shit up. Period. While this can happen in actual social situations, your audience is magnified hugely when you say that you're jetting off to Tahiti for the weekend, stopping off in Greenland on the way back. Please, show some self-control. Some humility. With that said...
 
  • I've seen people get very upset about how so many of their friends seem to have such an amazing life -based on everything that they post on Facebook. People actually are trying to live up to the falseness of "friends". Friends they haven't seen in years and years. Friends that are posting about their fictional lives. The time taken having this conversation causes me, myself and I to be anti-social.
As I mentioned, I am an avid social media user. I'm certainly not trying to knock it. Social media has allowed people to reconnect with long lost friends and classmates. It's reunited families. It's made us laugh and brought social awareness to some issues that might otherwise not have been brought to light. A lot of the time, you get breaking news quicker via social media than you do through typical news outlets. I think social media serves a purpose. I just think we have to be aware that social media doesn't replace unique human interaction. I think we all need to come to terms with it a bit more, before we're all Skyping Thanksgiving dinner to our families instead of driving to see them.
 
 
So, is social media actually social? Times have changed very quickly, so maybe our definition of social needs to adapt as well. When Mom used to say "Why don't you go out and make some friends", now I guess her child can answer "Ma, I have 688 friends on Facebook." God, I feel old as dirt.
 
I'm drawn to the classic line from John Hughes' unforgettable movie "The Breakfast Club". When questioning Brian about his choice of academic clubs, John Bender responds as follows, "So it's sorta social, demented and sad, but social. Right?"
 
 

 
I guess that pretty much sums it up, right? BTW, please be sure to post, share, and/or like this. LOL
 
 
With Love
Lady Butterfly
xoxo

8 comments:

  1. I'm not sure that media on the internet today is social. I'm a newbie in this world and find it flooded with one-sided comments or promos. I try to open conversations, like you have in this post, so that there can be some human interaction.
    It also seems that while I'm doing "social media" my physically social life suffers because I'm concentrating on keeping in touch with strangers.
    I'm working all this out--now that I'm secure with my networks. Love to have a real conversation on this if anyone's up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Paula. You're responding to exactly what I am contemplating. Social isn't "social", it's merely interactive. We all have to understand that life online can be wonderful, but you need to recognize it is what it is. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic post, I could see myself in that corner just like you said, stuck in social limbo. Loved every minute of this read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Squid. You're not alone in that corner...I'm hiding out there myself.

      Delete
  3. Great post with lots of valid points - I really enjoyed reading it. I think we need to be honest with ourselves about why we're using social media (or socme, pronounced sokme, as I like to call it). As with many aspects of life, it's how we use it, rather than the thing itself which creates problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teagan. You make an excellent point. Like most things in life, everything used in moderation (and correctly) is fine...it's when we get carried away with ourselves that things go haywire. I really appreciate you reading and commenting.

      Delete
  4. I'm a little torn with the whole social media thing myself. In many ways I find it a little cowardly. In 'real life' there are three people who know that I like to write - Online I tell anyone who asks. If I told ‘real people’ then maybe that may help me further or may expose me to scrutiny and ridicule. So I guess it is the whole mask thing, wearing one mask to yourself and another to the multitude. Often the mask is the fake identity, but sometimes it is the true face, it is just some people are afraid to show it. So in that respect I think social media actually helps us be who we really are and if people don’t like it, we can block them, ignore them or whatever.

    Great post, Karie. It gave me a lot to think about :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. You always provide such great commentary. I 100% agree with you. Social media can definitely allow us to say and do things that are really US, without the fear of retribution or mockery by those we love. On the other hand, being so anonymous can cause some to take the wicked road to a little town called Power-Hungryville, and become nasty, self-obsessed and destructive. Slippery slope. Thanks as always for reading!

      Delete